About Me

My photo
My education in architecture school at USC allowed me to learn more about design progress rather than odd geometry shape. I think more and trying to learn how to reconcile idealism and reality. I think creating building is same as solving question. What’s the problem and how to solve it would be more interesting. Apart from that I also got LEED GA certified and International competition experience. All academic programs don’t mean I don’t have any practical experience. I just finished a temporary job last week. I worked as an architect assistant at (fer) studio, Inglewood, CA, which started from September. I knew it was a short-term job before I started, but I still worked for them. This type of job is very acceptable to me because I can familiar with different types of firms not only through websites but also their people and the way they work. Besides that I have taken two internships. One was in KlingStubbins during last summer. I helped in modeling Russian commercial zoning by using Revit. Another one was working at MAD in China for six months. My job was schematic design and modeling done by rhino.

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Customized minimum living space




It is a computer system. Clients input their personal information and preference, requirements for this space, in other words, what they would like to do in this space. Computer would generate a shape to guide you what actually space you need right now, and how it looks like. It is minimum space for living but would satisfy all clients’ need for action. This computer system helps people to reduce space where they never use.
I use a Miss W as my model and create a living space for her. First step, I asked her to do 39 questions before this experiment and choose what actions she wanted to use to create her living space. And then use my camera to record her actions. I don’t want she acts before camera but do what she usually does at home. The next move is I found a digital robot, made it as same height as she does, to simulate her actions in the computer. By snapping animation record, I got a shape of her actions, bathing, brushing, cooking, eating and drinking, making up, washing face, sleeping, sit¬ting and using washroom. These actions are all what she required before. The last step is to combine them together. 




Function space is usually a regular shape of room, which provides a group of functions together. It doesn’t have specific function but a general maximum space. That is why we waste plenty of space  there. As my model shows, the gray part has been waste if this space accommodate only one action.

Action space a specific shape of one action. This space allows only this particular action happens. This one reduce all possible waste space around.

Expanded action space is an upgrade version of action space. It includes all touchable space when one action happens. It is a combination of function space and action space. It allows maximum actions happen at one settled space. This is the principle for future deduction.

Three scales
Three scale divide actions to wrist movement, shoulder movement and waist movement. Usually the first scale movements are too subtle to be noticed, they are combined by higher level movements. The second scale movements usually relate to arm and leg. It extends the action space to a larger scale. The third scale refers to body movement. The displacement happens at third scale.



Model VS. Robot

Wang, is the model for this test. Actually there is a easier way to do that by using ‘motion capture‘. However, I don’t think this one useful because first of all they are all experimental actions. Everyone is watching her. I don’t’ think people would move unself-conscious rather than at home. I would prefer to see physical reactions. In addition, I can’t get that expensive equipment at home. Therefore, I recorded her actions at home by using my Canon 500D camera. Then I use computer to simulate her actions at home. The robot is a copy of Wang, except the body is too slim. She is shy and doesn’t want to be seen. So I won’t show her face on media.




Environmental effects
Actions are all simulated or vanished by certain environmental effects. The same attribute helps to combine several actions, which share the common environment. Environmental element shows the deepest influence on certain actions on degree of 5.

Pleasant space adjustment 
Basic shape just describes the actions of space. It accommodates a place for this happening, doesn’t not means it would necessary happens when we provide this space. Another important thing is personal feelings. We need to maximum people’s pleasant feeling as while as space. According to this diagram, ‘this’ space around is appreciable, so I  enlarge the basic shape to ‘this’ appreciable space.






Grouping 
Some of them have been affected ty same attractors, others just affected by one. Therefore, group them and let the action just influenced by one major attractor  to be the central of this group. Others who share the same attrctors would be the connection between central. The strategy not only save space for sharing but also save transportation space between them
55 actions have been divided to five groups. They are: Water, dry, light, quiet and noise.


Customized living space

Shape of each private house would have diverse options because of personal preference. Everyone would have customized individual house which created by personal behaviors at home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment